True Crime On This Day February 11th

True Crime On This Day February 11th

February 11th

On February 11th in true crime, Atlanta murders, cold case in Michigan, murder in Scotland, a murder in London solved by a psychic.


In Saginaw, Michigan, 28-year-old Charlene Johnson-Lane was raped, strangled, and stabbed to death. The murder was reported to the Saginaw News by a caller who was suspected of being her killer.

When police entered the property they found Charlene face-down in a pool of blood and the description of how she was killed would only have been known to the killer.

The investigation turned up no clues from the murder and it has remained unsolved ever since. As of 2022, the murder remains an active cold case in the State of Michigan.


In Franklin Country, Kentucky, police trooper Clinton Eugene Cunningham was shot dead in a pre-planned ambush. He had been responding to a report of a burglary which later turned out to be a false report set up purely so the suspect could kill a police officer.

Cunningham was shot in the back and died instantly of his wounds. The 20-year-old suspect was arrested at his home shortly after and sentenced to a minimum of 99 years in prison.


In Dundee, Scotland, 20-year-old trainee nursery nurse Elizabeth McCabe was reported missing by her parents. She had been out with friends the night before and was last seen in the early hours of the morning near a nightclub in the city.

On February 26th, her partially nude body was found in undergrowth at Templeton Woods. Her clothing was found a few days later. On March 13th, Tayside police officers attended a séance, held by psychics, to determine what happened to McCabe but didn’t come up with any solid evidence.

In 2007, after being accused of the murder multiple times, taxi driver Vincent Simpson was found not guilty during a trial and went free.

McCabe’s murder was linked to that of Carol Lannen, whose body was also found in Templeton Woods in 1979. Despite links to numerous serial killers, the deaths of both victims have never been solved.


In Atlanta, Georgia, a young boy was kidnapped from the streets and thrown in the back of a car.

When the vehicle stopped at a red light, he managed to escape, and would later provide identifying information which matched Wayne Williams, who was eventually charged with two murders.

The Atlanta murders were a series of murders committed in Atlanta from July 1979 to May 1981 and included the deaths of at least 28 children and adults.

Despite 23-year-old Williams being convicted of two of the adult murders, many of the child killings have since been attributed to him.

Atlanta police recently reopened all the remaining Atlanta murder cases to use new DNA technology that may confirm Williams’s involvement or point to an unidentified culprit.


In Flagstaff, Arizona, Francis Capaldi was leaving a seminar on nuclear energy at Northern Arizona University when he was attacked and killed.

He was shot three times in the parking lot of the University by a lone shooter who stole his car and escaped.

Along with his brother, Bob Capaldi, and friend John Guido, the three believed the lord wanted to use them as missionaries, and they involved themselves in the Jesus Movement in California in the 1970s.

Despite a large investigation, Capaldi’s murder has never been found and his case remains unsolved.


In Ruislip, West London, 25-year-old Jaqueline Poole was raped, beaten, and strangled to death.

The father of her boyfriend found her two days later, after he became concerned for her wellbeing and entered the property through the living room window. He found Poole’s brutalised body inside.

The following morning, a young woman by the name of Christine Holohan, who was studying to become a professional medium, went to the local police station claiming she had a vision of a girl named Jacqui Hunt. Poole’s birth name was Hunt, which had not been made public at the time.

Though few details were released at the time, Holohan was able to list over 100 distinct details of the crime scene, none of which had been made public and were only known to the investigatory team.

She could even tell them how much coffee had been left in the cups.

Despite the clues that Holohan was able to provide the police, the killer wasn’t found at the time. Then in 2001, Anthony Ruark was arrested and later convicted of Poole’s rape and murder.

He was sentenced to life in prison. But without evidence that had been secured with Holohan’s help, Ruark would never have been convicted.

Check out the Mega List of True Crime Podcasts

Help share the article