True Crime On This Day April 13th

True Crime On This Day April 13th

April 13th

On April 13th in true crime, a bizarre night of murder, plane explosion, macabre discovery, cold case murder, and killed in the line of duty.


In Miami-Dade County, Florida, Manuel Valle was charged with the murder of Coral Gables police officer Louis Pena.

Valle had shot him dead to avoid being arrested on April 2nd. He was convicted of the murder and sentenced to death. Valle was executed in Florida on September 28th 2011.


In Quebec, the body of 19-year-old college student Theresa Allore was discovered in a small body of water not far from her dormitory residence.

She had vanished on November 3rd 1978 and was initially believed to have been murdered by a serial killer who operated in the Quebec region from 1977.

The murder remained a cold case investigation until it was linked to serial killer Robert Pickton, AKA: The Pig Farmer Killer, who was arrested in February 2002.

Pickton was suspected of having killed up to 49 people. Officially, as of 2022, Allore’s murder and two others in the same area remain unsolved.


In Massachusetts, the partial skull and clothing of 20-year-old Karen Marsden. were discovered in remote woodland.

On February 8th, Marsden was sacrificed at a cult gathering where she was tortured to death by occultist and pimp, Carl Drew. Witnesses claimed that Drew cut off her head and used it as a football before raping the headless corpse.

Drew was a pimp in the area who organised prostitutes into his coven and was known to sacrifice young women who went against him or displeased him. He killed three people from 1979 to 1980 and was arrested shortly after Marsden’s murder.

Despite no other parts of Marsden’s body being found, Drew was convicted of her murder. In 1981, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.


In the Philippines, Father Godofredo Alingal was assassinated at the Immaculate Conception Church in Bukidon. He had heard two of his parish houseboys cry out in front of the rectory.

When Alingal went to see what was going on, he was confronted by five masked men and shot dead with a single bullet to the heart.

Alingal had been active in speaking out against electoral fraud in the country and had taken it upon himself to broadcast supressed news with a giant blackboard outside his church.

Alingal was seen as a threat to the despotic regime of President Ferdinand Marcos and was most likely killed as a result, though no one has ever been charged with his murder. Over 4,000 local farmers and their families attended Alingal’s funeral.


In Sivas Province, Turkey, a C-130 Hercules military aircraft exploded and crashed, while on a routine supply mission. It went down 55 miles west of the Turkish city of Erzincan, killing the nine-member crew and 18 civilian passengers.

Investigators believed a bomb had been placed on board near the number four engine which then exploded and broke the wing of the craft. It was one of 10 incidents in 1982 involving a Hercules craft.


In Jamaica, Queens, New York, Charles Dingle went on a rampage that spawned the headline; ‘Headless Body in Topless Bar’.

Dingle, then 23, was high on cocaine and drunk on alcohol when he took out a gun at Herbie’s Bar and shot dead the owner, 51-year-old Herbert Cummings.

Dingle then took four women hostage and raped one of the topless dancers while robbing several others. As Dingle was rifling through a pocketbook, he learned that one of the female hostages was a mortician.

He then ordered her to dig the bullet out of Cummings’ head so police couldn’t link his gun to the slaying.

Once she completed the gruesome task, Dingle forced her to cut off Cummings’ head with a steak knife. Hours later, he released two of the hostages.

Then he continued his rampage, stealing a taxi and driving around with the other two hostages, along with Cummings’ head in a box. Later that night, he parked the taxi in Upper Manhattan and fell asleep. The remaining hostages escaped and flagged down passing police.

Dingle was convicted of murder, kidnapping, rape and robbery, he was sentenced to 25-years to life in prison. Since his conviction, Dingle has repeatedly assaulted prison staff and tried to conceal deadly weapons, including a shank.

He has been denied parole at every opportunity and remains in prison to this day.

Check out the Mega List of True Crime Podcasts

Help share the article